Sometimes the oldies really are the best?

I was listening to my iTunes library on random selection recently when this popped up: Jools Holland's ‘Hop the Wag’ which features Sam Brown, daughter of Joe Brown, remember him? Singing ‘The Way You Look Tonight’.

It reminded me that even though I like today’s stuff, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, for example, sometimes the oldies really are the best.

It was written in 1936 by Jerome Kern and Dorothy Fields and has been recorded by Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, Tony Bennett, Perry Como, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Sinatra and Andy Williams.

More recently cover versions include: Bryan Ferry, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Dexys Midnight Runners, Maroon 5 and of course Michael BublĂ©.

And for the record ‘hop the wag’ is English slang for playing truant from school, well, it is where I came from.







0 comments: